Andre Vasquez has spent the past couple of years getting to know his neighbors across Chicago’s 40th Ward. He has been actively listening to your values, vision for the 40th ward, and concerns around the way the city is governed. Andre believes in bringing people into the democratic process, which means ensuring a seat at the table for all – including diversity of ability, family type, gender expression and identity, immigration status, income level, political persuasion, race, religion, and sexual orientation.
The Andre Vasquez For 40th Ward Alderman Campaign is about listening to the ideas and concerns of neighbors in order to develop a framework of accessible and accountable representative government, which reflects how Andre will govern in office.
We want to hear your ideas for the 40th Ward! Please send comments and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Replace Machine Politics with Movement Politics
Diversity in the 40th ward is our strength as a community.
As 40th Ward Alderman, Andre Vasquez will be committed to:
- Facilitate regular town halls and community forums throughout the entire ward.
- Disseminate information and solicit public input through a variety of formats so as to reflect the diverse needs of the ward, and ensure accessibility for all people.
- Collaborate with grassroots organizations and neighbors to create community resources and workshops focused on engagement and civics education.
- Develop a robust and responsive constituent services office.
- Promote community events that engage neighbors in dialogue and bring people together around common goals.
Together we are building an innovative and healthful community that works for all.
As Alderman, Andre will be committed to:
- Ensure that all residential development in the ward meet the Affordable Requirements Ordinance (ARO) guidelines of 10% affordable housing units, while advocating for a higher threshold and removal of the monetary loophole.
- Increase participation from the community in ward zoning and budget meetings and discussions. Return to residents the right to decide how tax dollars are spent in our ward through public participation in discretionary spending and Tax Increment Financing (TIF) money.
- Stand with parents and teachers in advocating for fully-funded and equitable public schools that maximize the learning potential in our city’s youth.
- Sustainable green infrastructure – clean water, safe schools, quality roads, community gardens, beekeeping efforts and more.
- Supporting and providing resources to local small business that help the community thrive.
Unseating an entrenched incumbent will send shockwaves across the political establishment and status quo.
As Alderman, Andre will advocate for legislation that establishes:
- Transparent and honest conversation about our city budget and finances.
- Fair elections and an end to pay-to-play politics.
- An elected school board that’s accountable to our communities.
- An elected Civilian Police Accountability Council (CPAC) which ensures an independent and community led review of police activity.
- Progressive revenue sources and reforms of our Tax Incremental Funding (TIF) system.